Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Little Nostalgia

My grandmother and I spent the afternoon looking through her linen closet. Linen Closet is kinda a loose term for this place. She has everything there that's possibly older than the hills. I was looking for an apron to accompany my Halloween costume. (1950s era housewife) What I ended up finding was endless photographic memories. I had the good sense to scan a few of my favorites.

This is a picture of my great-grandfather's mother, Martha Brown. She's listening to a hockey game over the radio.

The next two pictures are similar birthday pictures. This one is my second birthday (January 1984) with a Strawberry Shortcake cake. My first doll was Strawberry Shortcake, and I remember having sheets and a comforter out of that as well. I like the pictures because the table where we're sitting is the same table that I know have in my home.
I think this was my fifth birthday.

This is a picture of my grandfather (left) and his Uncle Charlie. Uncle Charlie moved to the US and he and his wife, Gladys, lived in San Diego for a long time. They visited quite frequently. Charlie was killed in a car crash when they were driving across Canada. I think they had got as far as Calgary heading East. Gladys was injured but lived for many years afterwards. She moved to Florida and lived near Orlando and my family visited her in 1996, the year before she died.

A picture of my grandfather on a trip that he and my grandmother took to Gaspé.

And this is my grandmother on the same trip.

This is my grandmother's favourite picture of her father. He's in the potatoe field spraying for bugs. There aren't many pictures of him working in the fields without the straw hat and pipe.

Here's Grandpa Brown in later years.

This is my Great-Grandmother Brown. Just like there aren't many pictures of Grandpa Brown without the hat and pipe, there are even fewer of Grandma Brown without her apron. She looks a lot like my Aunt Beulah.

No comments: