Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Fishing

As many people know, I've never gone fishing before. Now, at the local park they had a "kids" fishing derby, but when you looked around, it was mostly the Papas doing the casting and the young'uns jumping around excitedly when the flapping fish were being reeled out of the creek. At first, I wasn't going to go, but I'm glad I did. I actually got to cast and reel one in for the first time ever.

For the most part, Vaughan cast the lines for Will and then pass the rod to him.

William was very good at "directing" where the line should be cast. But we all know that William is good at anything requiring a lot of talking.

There actually wasn't a whole lot of other people around. I figured it was going to be rather busy, being Father's Day and all, but we were pretty spread out, and there was a gazillion fish in the creek. You could have caught them with a shot gun.

This was one of those times that Will was allowed to do the reeling.

It was pretty funny when we put the half dead fish into the plastic bag. Mom was in charge of this when I was taking pictures. In a last attempt to be free, one fish tried to clamour out of the bag and it was pretty high drama. Lost of shrieking to be heard.

This was after the drama had subsided.

Now this is the fish that I caught. It took a while to catch on to how to properly cast the line. But I really enjoyed it. I mean, I think I could see myself floating in a boat on a lake and just spending some time tossing the line back in. This particular creek was stocked and not very deep so you could see the fish. I think it would be cool to toss in my hook and anticipate just what might latch on.

From the other side of the creek. Like I said, not too many people around today.

At this park, there has always been a bridge over the creek. When Shawville was just a fledgling town, there was a grist mill powered by the watering flowing through a wheel. There is a partial old stone wall from where the mill used to be, and the early purpose for the creek gave the park its name: Mill Dam Park.

And finally, my brother waiting to find out how is four measly fish stack up against lengths of fish caught over the weekend. His longest fish was 10 1/2 inches. I think the longest was 12 inches.

No comments: