Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Charlotte and Fred

Charlotte and Fred Schwartz are my grandfather's grandparents. Fred was at one time known as the largest maple syrup exporter in Quebec, and from that got the nickname, "Sugar Fred." They lived on Fred's parents' settlement in the middle of nowhere until moving into the village of Ladysmith in the 50s.

Fred's father came to Canada from Prussia with several of his brothers. Family Legend says that they were asked to leave the country after a horse thieving incident, but the family history book cites it as "military coercion." Fred's mother was from the Pontiac area, who's family originally came from Scotland.




This picture is of Fred when they were living in the village. The house isn't there anymore. All that's left is a water pump that doesn't work and a few trees.

2 comments:

Auntie Barbar said...

Hey, what happened to my comment!!! Fred was a handsome dude...

Melissa said...

I went to add pictures to the post, but my computer wasn't cooperating so I had to redo the whole thing! So sorry, since I had two beautiful comments!