Friday, January 16, 2009

My Grandmother's Ring

Every few months, my grandmother and I look at her jewelry. It's kind of like opening an old photo album - every piece of jewelry was worn to something, bought by someone, given for some reason. The picture below is one of my favourite pieces. A few years ago, I decided that if I ever get married, I want this to be my engagement ring. I love it. My grandfather bought it for my grandmother for a birthday or Christmas, or maybe "just because" - he did that a lot. I've always loved this ring. My grandmother also has Aunt Sadie's wedding band, which is pretty special, and someday, it'll be my wedding band. I think it's fine and fun to dream about this stuff when you're single.

But lately I've been wondering if I'll ever find someone. Maybe I'll never get to wear that ring. Hmm, I'll have to make a deal with my grandmother to have the ring when I turn thirty - married or not!

She looks like a reasonable person..... doesn't she?

3 comments:

Barbara, the Beloved said...

It's beautiful to have a dream...
If you are serious about finding your special one, be yourself, smile and be positive around guys you like and make really good Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies. You know the saying, "The best way to a man's heart is through his stomach"--it's true!! Guys like ladies that are appear happy and bring them "goodies." That's how I found my honey, and we've been together over 26 years now.

PS I started a new blog and changed my title, in case you wondered who this is...

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

lovely ring! :-) I know that sometimes it seems like you will never find that "special person" you are meant to marry,but he is out there. People always told me that and I never believed it. I had always dated guys,but none of them where right. Then I met my hubby and knew right away that he was the one one. (I had to wait until I was 26 to find him :-) I hope you have a fantastic night!! hugs!! Britt :-)

Melissa said...

Thank you ladies, you're so kind. And I've got a great recipe for cookies that I use when I meet someone that I think is pretty special. Maybe I'll post it.

Actually, my grandmother and I talked about this today, because I just finished an embroidery project that matches a quilt she said I could have if ever I got married... We've decided that I can have certain things when I turn thirty. It feels better knowing that there aren't these stringent conditions that I have to live up to anymore. Rather liberating!