Sunday, January 11, 2009

Uncle Charlie

I'm not sure where Uncle Charlie Schwartz fits into the birth order of my great-great grandparent's children, but Charlie was one of my grandfather's favourite uncles. He moved to Northern New York, and then to San Diego, and was driving across Canada - making his way to my grandparents in Quebec - when he was killed in a car accident. I'm not sure the year, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't born then. He and his wife, Gladys, didn't have any children. So Gladys moved to Florida to be close to a nephew. Every few years, she would make her way up to Quebec with little toys for my brothers and me. When we went to Florida in '96, we took my grandmother to visit her. Aunt Gladys passed away a year later. Most of the pictures my grandmother has of the Schwartz side are from Charlie, and have inscriptions written in chicken scratch on the reverse. My grandmother said that even though he grew up in the sticks of Quebec, he had a Yankee accent. He always called horses, "harses," and so it's fitting that I have this picture of him.

My grandfather and his Uncle Charlie Schwartz. Charlie always went by Chas... not too many men do that now-a-days.

2 comments:

Auntie Barbar said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos...

I guess you didn't see your blog address amongst my long list of blogs I'm watching, but it's there... and I read each as they rise to the top of the list after each post. So I'll be looking forward to your next post!

Love from sunny and windy California!!

Vintage to Victorian said...

Hi - I've just come across your blog and see you have me in the list on your sidebar. Thank you!

I shall come back later and read some of your posts (no time now) but wanted to comment, not least because my best friend, who sadly died many years ago was issy (well Izzie really) and I'm Sue!

Your photos look great.

Sue