Monday, March 16, 2009

My Grandmother's Dresses

In the far corner of my grandmother's basement are two clothing racks. Deep inside plastic clothing bags hide a treasure trove of vintage dresses.

My grandfather belonged to the Masons - which are like the Shriners - and although it is a men-only club, they would frequently have "Ladies Nights," and the men could bring their wives. These Ladies Nights were quite the formal affair, and each year my grandmother would go shopping in "the city" and find a dress. She's a pack-rat - which I'm trying to decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing - so many of these dresses are still in fine shape. And they're probably fashionable now, however they wouldn't fit my arm!









And this is, of course, her wedding dress. It's 50 years old this past year, and such a treat to have. Not something that I could ever wear, but itsn't it a lovely thing to say that your grandmother still has her dress?

1 comment:

Stephenie said...

I just love your grandmother's clothes. That wedding dress is tdf!!! Love all the lace...What a beautiful couple..

Stephenie