Friday, June 12, 2009

3 Hours Later...

I sat down with "The Weight of Water" at about 7pm. I had been about a quarter of the way through after reading last night, and already entranced by the story, I had to continue. I had full intentions of going to Shawville tonight; however Smuttynose and it's characters begged my attention.
Shreve weaves two tragic stories together, but you don't know that they will both be tragic until the end. The story in the present tense - of a photographer, her husband and child, and her brother-in-law and his beguiling girlfriend - go to the Isles of Shoals for a photo assignment. Jean, the photographer becomes entranced with the legend of a murder on the island about a century before, and Shreve collides the two worlds. Being in close quarters on a boat, and being in close quarters on an island create this stifling sense of claustrophobia within the characters. Love, as it often does, goes awry. People, as they often do, send mixed signals, have mixed motives. I finished the book in one sitting. I was spellbound.

And now I'm moving on to "Change Baby." It's been sitting on my self since I rescued it from the discount bin. I don't know what it's about... sometimes those are the best adventures.

No comments: