Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happy

This is my second week at my new job, and I'm loving the approach. It's much more naturalistic than what I was teaching before, and I can see how it benefits the students. I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater and saying what I was teaching before was bad - it's just a different approach and each learner learns differently. And I think each teacher teaches differently, and I feel that I'm better suited at this, so I'm glad I made the move.

This afternoon, we were looking at a poster with all the flags of the world. We found 'La Russie,' and 'Les Etats Unis,' and then I showed him a flag and said, "this is where my grandparents are from." The poster is in English, but we were saying the countries in French. My grandparents are from the Netherlands, and that was written underneath the flag. Well, my friend looked at the word 'Netherlands,' translated it in his head and said: "Ils viennent des Pays Bas." I just stared at him with my jaw on the floor. He translated an English word into French in his head. This guy is so smart!

No comments: