Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

I had this book given to me as a gift from a parent of one of my students. Her husband is a librarian, and as I read it, I kept thinking about how she must have felt reading this book. I'm not going to give an official synopsis, or review for reviews' sake, but I think the best way to write about a book that truly touched you is to write about how it truly touched you.

At first, I thought that it was an interesting little twisting love story. But it's so much more than that. It is so carefully crafted. The time it must have taken to line up the dates and times so perfectly simply astounds me. The careful hand that wove the tale from two points of view is worthy of our worship. Both technically and emotionally, this book held me in awe.

Next month, the movie will come out, starring Rachel McAdams - a good Canadian lass, and Eric Bana. From the stills that I've seen so far, I think they're a great pair, although it does make me think that McAdams is stuck in a character that is Allie Calhoun-esque. But the way that Bana can look at her, it is only as Niffenegger has written that Henry can look at Clare. She has created a love that words cannot even describe.

I hope you enjoy it.

4 comments:

kelly said...

You have intriqued me. I will have to get the book. Yes, the cake was from my own imagination but I had much bigger ideas for it than I was actually able to do in the end. My cakes are always like that. They start out with a HUGE idea then end up with a normal, bright cake!

kelly said...

intrigued, not intriqued! HAHAHA!

Stephenie said...

I'm not much on reading books, but this one seems interesting..I heard some people at work saying it was a good book...I night have to break down and read this one, or maybe I can wait and see the movie(hehe)...
STephenie

Zachary Houle said...

Read it. It's an amazing book.