Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chevalier's Falling Angels


Unlike "The Virgin Blue," I took my time with this book. It was hard to get involved in it, at first. It's written from the perspective of each of the characters - as the story progresses, each chapter is narrated by a different character - and this was hard to get into because I found myself drawn to certain characters over others, and I wanted to hear more of their point of view; however, in the end I came to appreciate the style. The narration that was at first seemingly disjointed merged seamlessly at the end, and I was once again spellbound. I closed the book, late at night, teary-eyed. This book had many of the themes I enjoy: Victorian England, a woman who discovers her backbone, the child who is wise beyond his years, characters who will somehow overcome a tragedy.

I'm currently in the middle of some more chick lit from two Canadian writers corroborating on their first novel. It puts me in mind of the many msn sessions I've had with one of my good friends from college where we've plotted out ideas for a novel, or one of those "how-to" for modern women. Years ago, I picked up "The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum" on a whim from a book market, and over girly drinks before the bar, we discovered that when you read this book with a British accent, it's hilarious. We also decided that the world was in need of a guide to being fabulous when you're from Hickville. Stay tuned for that one!

No comments: