Monday, September 14, 2009

Good and Bad Luck

Good and Bad Luck

I seem to be having my share of bad luck these days. From my post this morning - it was apartment woes. Last week, although I didn't blog about it, was more car woes. I obviously have my share of dating woes - but everyone has those! The only thing that isn't woeful lately is work life, and I'm thankful for that! It certainly makes getting up in the morning so much easier knowing that I'm going to see friendly people and sweet kids.

I looked up this quote that I had discovered when I did some readings on Catherine of Siena while I was in college. I found it so interesting that a woman, at that time in history, made such an impact. The quote resonates in my life today:

"To a brave man, good and bad luck are like his right and left hand.
He uses both."
It makes me wonder: what has been good lately? What has been bad? How can I use both?

2 comments:

Talon said...

Great quote. She was obviously a wise woman.

When bad things happen, I often think it's to prevent something even worse from happening. And to put things in perspective I always remind myself that the worse thing would be death - so anything less than that is manageable.

Of course, it's much more enjoyable when things are going well...but then you sometimes find yourself holding your breath and thinking, "Okay, this is TOO good."

You've got me thinking, Melissa!

CoatMan said...

An intriguing quote - but how, in practice, can one use luck, which is, by definition, something beyond one's control...?