Sunday, September 20, 2009

Love Walked In

This is the best novel I've read all year.

No joke.

OK, I don't even know how to summarize it, but here goes a very lame attempt:
Twenty-seven and single (yes, I feel the irony), Cornelia - named as if she came from an L.M. Montgomery novel - working at a coffee shop when the man of her dreams walks in. A short romance ensues. Meanwhile, Clare, an eleven year old girl living with an obviously mentally-ill mother, is slowly realizing that she is going to have to fend for herself. Woman and girl collide when Cornelia meets her dream-man's estranged daughter - left to him after her mother abandons her. And what does dream-man do? He abandons Clare with Cornelia while he goes on a business trip to London and is promptly killed in an accident...

Of course, much more happens, but the story is so good. So amazingly good. Sarah Jessica Parker wrote a featured review on the back cover that sums up the novel so beautifully: "Exquisite and stylish, 'Love Walked In' proves that love in all forms - romantic, friendship, familial - is all around us."

I don't think I can gush about this book anymore eloquently than that.

1 comment:

Talon said...

I'll definitely be picking up a copy of this.

I know she got great reviews for the novel "Belong to Me: A Novel" which my friend has and has promised to lend to me.