Friday, October 16, 2009

Darcy's Story

I'm no stranger to blogging about Jane Austen-esque novels, if you remember Dear Jane Austen and Cassandra and Jane, but this is definitely my favourite of the three. Janet Aylmer is a pen name for an Austen enthusiast who decided that she would fictionalize a different perspective of "Pride and Prejudice." I have read Emma Tennent's vision of "Pemberly" which is a continuation of the Lizzy/Darcy story, but Aylmer's novel follows Austen's novel in terms of timeline with the change being that the narrator in her version is omniscient in favour of Darcy.

Readers for decades have been fascinated with the Darcy character. In fact, it has been suggested that the A&E version of the film focuses too intensely upon Darcy whereas the Austen novel focuses on the Bennett sisters. I am not too offended, however, by more attention paid to Colin Ferth ;)

I like the idea of Darcy's perspective. I like seeing the characters from his eyes. I enjoyed reading about how he fell in love with Elizabeth. I am humbled by Aylmer's command of Austen's language, which is indeed difficult to grasp at times. But, I will make one criticism: she followed the exact timeline as the Austen's novel. She didn't digress. There was no unpredictable turn. In essence, the novel was too "safe." So, if you're a purist, you will undoubtedly enjoy the different perspective, but don't crave spontaneity.

1 comment:

lifechick said...

It is not possible to focus *too* intensely on Darcy!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check out this book!