Sunday, October 18, 2009

Feral Houses


I can't remember where I saw the idea of "feral houses" (if anyone can think of it, please comment) but abandoned houses have always fascinated me.  I remember going on a road trip with my aunt once, and we went into this old house that I had always thought was haunted.  It reminded me of the house from The Addam's Family.  On a quick trip to Walmart for winter boots for my brother, I snapped these photos of houses that have also fascinated me for some time.  I always wonder what kind of stories the walls could tell.  Did a family live there?  Were they happy?  Were cookies baked in the kitchen?  Was the radio listened to in the living room?  Did children sleep in the bedroom?  Why was the home abandoned, and how many years will pass until there is nothing but rubble and everyone who holds a memory of that place has long been dust?

2 comments:

Talon said...

That's the first time I've heard of "feral" applied to buildings...but it is apt as the houses were probably quite domesticated and are now wild and untamed.

There's something about abandoned houses that makes me sad, but I've photographed quite a few. They have a history they're unable to share...

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Beautiful shot !! Loved the location !!Unseen Rajasthan