Saturday, October 24, 2009

Night of the Mouse, Part Deux


Image of Miss Moppet and mouse from Beatrix Potter

The mouse returned last night as I was chatting with a friend on the phone.  Long before I even saw it, the cat become much too interested in the radiator, pacing back and forth, batting her paws up the backside of it, and then a mad dash to my bookshelf.  I went over to the bookshelf and pushed a book aside, and the chase was on again, the mouse rushing over my toes, the cat in hot pursuit.

They finally caught up with each other beneath my kitchen table.  After a long staring match, I will say Ruby won because the next I see her, she is stalking majestically through the apartment, mouse in jaws.  I open the balcony door, thinking that I do not wish to see mouse guts over my floor, but Ruby thought different.  She wanted to play.

I decided to catch the poor creature and let it out.  He had a box dropped over his head, was scooped up, and let outside to fend for himself.  Hopefully that will be the last of the Mousecapades at Chez Melis, although I'm sure Ruby wishes otherwise!

1 comment:

Talon said...

Aww - poor Ruby! At least she caught it for you and the poor mouse is free. Hopefully you won't have to deal with any more mice-type visitors!