Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Breathe - Let it Be - Get On


 

 
 Lately, I've been checking out the advice on zenhabits.net.  There are often good ideas for living frugally, dealing with life, work, family... you name it.  It can be a little tricky to navigate, so a lot of the advice I have stumbled across by what I chose to believe as Divine Providence.  (I can hear your eyes rolling from here)
 
Today, I was having a conversation with someone about his "confusing life."  I kept telling him that it's only what you make of it, and then teased him that he was being a drama queen.  Later in the evening, I came across a post on zenhabits.net about dealing with drama, and I wish I had have come across this a long time ago.  It would have saved me from a lot of hyperventilating in the past :)
 
There are three steps to dealing with drama:
  1. Breathe.  Not such a stupid idea, and I can think of a few people who preach this everyday.  One even threatened to tattoo it on her hand.  But there's more to it than just breathing.  You have to know that you're breathing in more peaceful air, and exhaling the stress.  I had never thought of it in that sense before.  Usually, when I take a deep breath during a stressful moment, it's because I'm trying not to cry, or trying to think of what to say.  But visualizing that I'm breathing in peaceful energies and exhaling the malevolent would probably be more effective!
  2. Let it Be.  In the moment, that is. Turning the focus from what just happened, or what is going to happen, and placing the focus on your movements in that moment.  This is the tough one.  Sometimes it's hard to turn off the thoughts in your head, especially at work.  Most stressful situations can't be solved right away, so the only thing that a person can do is be in the moment, focus on the moment, and when your mind starts to drift back, return gently to the present moment.
  3. Get On With It.  Just deal with whatever the stress is in the most simple manner.  Whatever you need to do.  Just move on.  And try not to get tied up in complications, because sometimes complications just make more stress.
Sometimes I think the world needs an injection of "get on with it." 

2 comments:

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Beautiful and lovely post !! Thanks for sharing..

Talon said...

Great advice. The more you practice it, the easier it gets.

Tae kwon do really helped me learn how to breathe effectively. Letting something be when it's a stressful situation is something that I still struggle with, but I keep trying!