Saturday, October 31, 2009

Windmills



My father's family is from Holland, and because of various circumstances, I have never been close to them to learn their family history.  I'm close to several of my aunts, one of whom is very interested in collecting old photos and tracing her roots.

She gave me a cd with pictures she had scanned, and since we all know how I love old photos, I decided to start posting the odd one or two.  In a recent conversation with one of my aunts, she said that I look so much like my father's family - something I was never that excited to be.  I'll admit, sometimes I wish I looked more like my mom, but I have a lot of her great personality traits, I think it's a fair trade.  There are some good things about my father's side too, it just might be harder to see.

So here's the first in another series of old photos...  I love how both branches of my family tree have such rich history.

5 comments:

pve design said...

My Mother-in-Law is from Holland and I love that photo, you have inspired me to paint a photo like that
which will be a nice gift for her.
pve

Torie Jayne said...

I love visiting Holland, such a pretty place!

Happy Halloween!
Thanks for all your lovely comments on my Halloween posts! x

Talon said...

It's so cool to see where we come from and to explore our family history.

That photo is so neat. I'd forgotten how incredibly huge windmills actually are.

ali said...

Number 1- Good quote, the book is now on my book list. :)

Number 2- I like the Anais Nin quote. Have you read any of her books? If so, any recommendations? I want to, but they are harder to find than I thought.

CoatMan said...

Windmills are lovely - very early type of factory, in a sense. Fascinating and also beautiful, too. Lovely photograph...