Monday, November 2, 2009

30 Before 30 Update


Get To Know My Family Better:

This is still a work in progress, but we're trying.  I wasn't always close to my aunts on my father's side, but about a month ago, one of my aunts organized a weekend together, and invited me and my cousin to join them.  I went up for one night, and loved it.  We watched movies, had a bonfire, had some wine, gossip, it was great.  I shared a bedroom with one of my aunts and we talked into the wee hours of the morning.  It's one of those experiences that you just don't get every day.  And I'm super thankful we had the chance to spend that weekend together.




Have A Better Relationship With My Step Dad:

Ok, it wasn't always so peachy - and I can accept half the blame for that.  I wasn't such a nice stepdaughter when he came along, but I've certainly grown up, and so has he.  It's been a process, and I think this is like the "family" goal.  It's ongoing.  Lately, we've had a lot of heart to heart chats about life where he's taken on the paternal role.  It's been different, and I never thought I'd like someone to be in that role in my life, but it's been nice.


2 comments:

ali said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend.
Isn't it fun having so much fun with your aunts?
They are way cooler than what we thought them to be when we were growing up.

lifechick said...

It's great that you recognize the importance of having good relationships within your family. Sometimes we don't learn to value the people in our lives until it's too late. I'm glad that's not the case for you!