Saturday, January 30, 2010

Forty Words for Sorrow by Giles Blunt


I've never been a fan of the crime novel, except for the works of Kathy Reichs (of which I am addicted).  But reading the jacket of this book, finding out it's set about three hours from my home town, well, it piqued my interest.

It wasn't one of those books that I read in one sitting.  It was one of those books that I had to put aside and cogitate for an evening - or try to forget about when I came upon the gruesome details of murders.  What I did love was that the characters had so many different dimensions: they were good, but they were flawed.

I find that I read so many books that are very similar: woman author, family drama or looking for love, predictable story, etc.  This one (and the last, for that matter) have been such departures from my comfort zone.  It's been a good experience!

1 comment:

Su said...

I *may* pick this one up, but gloss over the gruesome stuff. I'm not sure if I can stomach gory details, but I do enjoy a good mystery.