Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What Brings You Joy?


Joyful silhouette’s -Finding Neverland *~)
Originally uploaded by skimonster2020 on Flickr

Ok, so another Simple Abundance post... it's been a while though.  And it was finally a sunny day - I've never felt so thankful to wear sunglasses!!  Every time I hit a stoplight on the way to work I'd push back the sunglasses, push back the sun-shield in the car and turn my face to that warm light.  It was fantastic.

While driving, and absorbing that wonderful light, it made me think of all the times I feel joyful.  Now, I'm trying to figure out the difference between feeling joyful and feeling grateful.  Are they one in the same?  Are they totally different?  Is there some overlap between the two?  I am grateful for my family, but they don't necessarily bring me joy all the time.  They bring me joyful moments.  Maybe that's the difference between joy and gratitude: moments of joy can sometimes be fleeting, but gratitude is very lasting.

This isn't to say that joy isn't a great and wonderful thing.  It really is.  The things that bring me joy are such great moments that their memory is sustaining.  I really got through to this tough little guy today.  Even though it was tough, when we got to the other side and figured out what was bothering him, it was like the clouds parted in his world.  That was an incredible moment.

I also noticed that sometimes I don't see the joy that happens every day.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm too busy in my own routines, or I'm not receptive to it... but I have faith that joy can be felt every day.  I'm holding out for it!

No comments: