Tuesday, January 12, 2010

On This Side of Heaven

Photo Taken by Me, Spring 2008

I went to a funeral today.  There is really nothing more emotionally draining than the death of a loved one.  Today, I said goodbye to a man who it seemed yesterday made sure I said goodbye to my own father when he died over fifteen years ago.  Someone who was a big brother to my mother, an only child. 

I greatly dislike funerals.  But I love cemetaries.  Funerals have this air of heart-wrenching anguish.  There's an immediacy to it.  Cemetaries have a peaceful sadness.  A softer melancholy.  The difference between funeral and cemetary is nothing more than time.  Time turns heart-wrenching anguish into peaceful melancholy.

4 comments:

Anna said...

i spent Monday at a funeral as well, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

My Wishes are with you too !!

Talon said...

So sorry for your loss...

lifechick said...

You have my condolences on your loss. And I also like cemetaries, but not funerals. I think you've just made me realize why.