Sunday, January 10, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness



Kindness, Originally uploaded by BeautifulRust on Flickr

The last few Simple Abundance posts have been about finding happiness in the small things in life.  Ban Breathnach also encourages us to reflect upon what makes us truly happy - sometimes it isn't what we think.  Finding what really makes me happy is something that I've spent a lot of time thinking about over the past six months or so.  I'm pretty well versed on what makes me happy!

I have this great book called "The Big Book of Lists to Live By" that seriously has lists about everything - for what really matters: home, work, family, love, spirituality, contentment.  I found this great list in the contentment section of thirty random acts of kindness...  choose one or two to do today!!


  1. Let someone cut in front of you in line

  2. Send a thank-you note

  3. Take a bag of groceries to someone in need

  4. Volunteer

  5. Give a bigger tip than usual

  6. Open a door for someone

  7. Visit the elderly

  8. Pick up letters

  9. Write a note of encouragement to a teenager

  10. Invite a widow to dinner

  11. Be polite

  12. Take a neighbour flowers

  13. Bake something for a friend

  14. Listen

  15. Watch someones children

  16. Ask, "what can I do for you?"

  17. Invite someone new for coffee

  18. Make a new employee feel welcome

  19. Smile at a stranger

  20. Be a Big Brother or Big Sister

  21. Help without being asked

  22. Compliment five people each day

  23. Offer to pick up a neighbour's mail

  24. Talk respectfully

  25. Donate to a non-profit organization

  26. Send a gift anonymously

  27. Visit someone in the hospital

  28. Feed the birds

  29. Buy the coffee for the person in line behind you

  30. Do for others what you would like them to do for you

3 comments:

Talon said...

Little things really do have a huge impact.

Sara said...

Melissa -- I loved this list. There are many I've done and many I could do.

Recently, I received two gift certificates to a big department store in my town. I decided to use one and give the other away.

For some reason I got stuck on the number 23. I actually went to store and gave the gift certificate to the 23rd person who came through the door. I told her if she didn't need it, pass it on.

I have no idea what she did with it, but I felt really, really good...like I was smiling from the inside:~)

The one on the list I want to work on is complimenting five people a day and I want them to be people I don't know well. This will be a challenge as I'm kind of shy, but I'm going to give it try.

Thanks for sharing this list:~)

The Sequin Cat said...

Lovely post! I try and do such acts every day.
Adventures of a Sequin Cat