Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Thirst for Friendship

"The thirst for happiness is never extinguished in the heart of man."
Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Today's Simple Abundance essay deals with our "thirst for happiness" and the revelation that most of us possess inside us the power to be truly happy.  We possess it - meaning we already have it - we just sometimes ignore it, become too accustomed to it that we no longer notice its very existence.

This was so clear to me this evening as I sat around a table with old friends and not so old friends.  I have all I need to be happy.  I have friends that want to celebrate my birthday with me.  I have interesting things to share with my friends about my life.  I have the ability to learn from the experiences of my friends' lives.  I can laugh with my friends.  I can appreciate our similarities and embrace our differences.  So long as I have friends with whom to share these things, my heart is filled with the waters of happiness.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Melissa -- What a nice post. I loved the line about most of us possessing the power to be truly happy.

I remember when I studied Positive Psychology and first discovered that happiness is a choice we can make or not make.

It opened my eyes that I had this choice. I grew up thinking I was stuck being the "glass half empty." Now, I'm not. I celebrate feeling happy and I'm HAPPY that you do too:~)

It is so good that you have old and not so old friends to celebrate with. Enjoy and happy birthday:~)