Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Weight of Dreams by Jonis Agee



I'm not sure what made me pick up this book.  I decided that I was low on reading material, so I stocked up last week, and I'm going through them rather quickly.  One of my good friends is trying to read 100 books this year.  I'm going to try that too.

Reading this novel has been an amazing ride.  There are so many touching tributes to it on the jacket and inside pages by reviewers around North America, and they're all more eloquent than I could ever be.  I easily relate to the characters and events because of my farming background, but I think anyone will be struck by how developed Agee's characters are.  At first, I thought Agee was a man because the main character, Ty Bonte, is written so well and let's face it - it takes an incredibly talented female writer to have that kind of insight into men.  But she surprised me.

Agee makes me want to revisit my former life, the woman I was before I started teaching.  You know that's touching prose when you want to throw your life into the wind and see where it all falls.  Don't get me wrong, that's not going to happen, but one can dream.  One can always dream.

No comments: