Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thankful for Memories

Original image from Flickr

When I was a little girl living on a dairy farm, we rented extra land a couple miles away to cut hay for the cattle.  It was an old farm that we called The Dumas Place after the old owners.  There was a falling down house, a falling down shed, and a falling down barn... but what I remember most was a swing made of an old plank of wood tied to an old maple.  In the late spring, there were at least a hundred lilac bushes in bloom, and swinging on that swing was so fragrant.  I also remember one time that my father was over at that place cutting hay, so my mom packed us all in the car and took him a picnic lunch - we ate under the shade of the tree, my brothers and I taking turns on the swing.  And once, at Christmas time, my father loaded me and a chainsaw in the tractor and we went over there to cut a Christmas tree that he eyed up the summer before.  I don't have a lot of memories of that time that are good, it's nice to recall the few that are.

So today, I suppose I am thankful for memories.

1 comment:

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Memories are one things which we can never forget...They keep a different craze in lives..Great post !