Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve


I know I haven't been posting in a while.  I actually came down with a particularly nasty case of bronchitis, which I didn't really look after and morphed into pneumonia.  Not really cool.  Alas, I am now feeling up to posting again, and have finished several novels that I get to write about!

I kinda devoured this book.  It was like reading a classier version of Lolita, except Haskell is so much more sophisticated than Humbert Humbert ever thought of being.  And the story is so much more than just their love story.  The novel, 'Sea Glass' takes place in the same location, only 30 years later during the Depression.  So when I read this book, I kept looking for clues about the textile mill workers that play such an important role in 'Sea Glass.'

I still have yet to find a book my Anita Shreve that I don't enjoy!

No comments: