Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Simplicity


As the hours are waning on the month of March, I thought it would be a great time to reflect on this month's essays in Simple Abundance.  Yep, I'm still reading it, and March focuses on simplicity.

The first part of the month had essays that dealt with creating time to be you, exploring the things that bring us comfort, and the things that make us unique.  I love the many quotes that I come across in these essays.  One that resonated with me was: "One is not born a woman, one becomes one," said by Simone de Beauvoir.

The middle of the month seemed to focus on self-acceptance: am I a first-rate version of myself or a second-rate version of somebody else?  Sometimes we try so hard to be someone that we're not.  It really is just so much simpler to be ourselves, accept that we lack some things we might really want, but that we have some amazing characteristics that others might covet.  This was a hard concept for me - I don't usually put any thought into how I present myself to the world.  I always have a hard time finding my good characteristics, although I'm a super sleuth when it comes to the minutest flaw.
Finally, the month ended with essays on fashion.  Yes, you did read that correctly.  It's something that all women consider, whether they want to or not, whether they work in the corporate world or at home in their pajamas.  And again, the focus is simplicity.  We all know at least one woman - I can think of several - who's closet is the stuff of legends.  My grandmother still has dresses that she wore to dinner parties in the 60s and 70s.  What Ban Breathnach is preaching in these essays is that fashion is fleeting, but style is lasting.  Each woman can make a simple statement in their appearance by choosing to be classic in how we dress and how we carry ourselves.  This is something that I've been embracing and I have to say that on days when I wear a vintage broach or a classy scarf, I step differently through the streets.

So, after three months of reading these essays, I will keep going.  I can't say as though I've felt a major transformation, but I take each essay that I read as one woman's opinion on how she has made her life simpler, and I think that's always worth investigating.

Until next month!

No comments: