Sunday, May 16, 2010

Deafening by Frances Itani


When I picked up this novel, I knew that it was Canlit  based on the setting: small town, Bay of Quinte area in Ontario.  Of course, I try to read as much Canlit as possible, and thought that this would be a nice little read.  What I didn't realize was that this novel is so deserving of a place in the Canadian literary canon.  It is brilliant.  MacLeod is quoted on the cover as calling this novel a "remarkable accomplishment."  It truly is that.  Itani took a formidable period in Canadian history and allowed readers to witness life through the eyes of a deaf woman.  We watch her mature from an unknowing child into an emotive and courageous woman, married to a man on the front. We also see WWI through his eyes - a harrowing time, glorified by the people left at home - his story shows nothing of that glamour as a stretcher-bearer in the trenches.  I don't think I can find fresh words to describe this novel that haven't already been written by reviewers.  This book is currently in the lead for best of the year... so far!

1 comment:

Patti's Pages said...

I always love to see what others have to say about books I've read recently. I didn't like this one as much as you, but it's still good to get someone else's persepective. Thanks!