Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day Five: PEI to Halifax to Peggy's Cove to Lunenburg; or "Holy Crap That's A Lot of Miles!!"

"Farewell to PEI, your ruby red coast..." hmm, methinks there should be a song something like that!!

Anyways, I left PEI this morning feeling a little heart-sick.  I have absolutely loved PEI - the small towns, the rolling hills, the green, the red, the smells... I could go on and on.  I had actually entertained the idea of just staying on and spending the rest of my trip there, but then I wouldn't be able to say I also saw Nova Scotia, so I hopped the ferry.  It was pretty cool, and my face is mightily windburned.

So, I set the GPS to Halifax and got on my way, but once I got there, I hated it.  Ya, the Citadel, the harbour... blah, blah, blah.  After spending a few days moving at the speed of an Islander, the city was not my cup of tea.  So I decided to set course for Lunenburg with a stop over at Peggy's Cove.


Peggy's Cove is starkly beautiful.  It reminds you that even something simple and almost barren can hold beauty.  There are few buildings, few permanent residences, no trees save for some brush, and granite rock jutting out from the scraggly weeds. 


This was the only photo of the lighthouse I managed to get without the look of tourists crawling all over it. 


I skipped carefully along the rocks until I got to the water's edge and parked myself on a rock.  The wind started to really pick up here - afterwards, when I walked back, I commented to a woman that it was really windy and she said that it was the kind of wind her grandmother would call a 'smokey sau-wester' because it made the clouds look so hazy.  But this is the kind of place where you can sit and think if you get a spot with a wide ocean view. 


I'm not sure why exactly I decided to go to Lunenburg.  Maybe the name has always been familiar because of the whole 'Bluenose' story, but I have to say that this was the smartest idea I've ever had.  The picture you see above is the view of the harbour from my room.  Nope.  Not joking.  Isn't it so beautiful!!!


After I checked in, I put on my summer dress and walked along the harbour snapping pictures of the place at sunset.  I never imagined that I would love any place as much as I loved PEI, but as it turns out, I was wrong. 

No comments: