Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day One: Riviere-du-Loup and the St. Lawrence


I've arrived at my first destination safe and sound - despite the crazy Quebec drivers.  Between Montreal and Victoriaville, I'm pretty sure no one believes in using turn signals, or getting back into the slow lane when they're done passing.  And I infuriated the little British lady that lives inside my GPS a few times when I didn't stay the way she thought I should be. 

The drive was really scenic.  As soon as I reached Quebec City and began really following the St. Lawrence, the landscape was breath-taking.  The last time I have been this far east was on an elementary school exchange trip when I was twelve.  That was about fourteen years ago now.  The part of the drive that was the most beautiful is when you're flanked by mountain ranges on either side: the Laurentians and the Appalachians.

When I got to the hostel, I checked in, and then decided to get some river sight-seeing before the light went out.  It's been really cloudy today anyways, which is a shame.  I'm sure the sunset on the river would be beautiful if it were clear.  I went up to a look out, and took a few photos, then found a road that went more along the river bank.  I picked up a few stones and seashells to add to a little collection I plan on working on.  A little something from each shore I check out.

Speaking of checking out, I'm about to hit the sack.  I'm absolutely bushed!  I can't get over how crisp the weather is here.  I'm sitting on a patio in my hoodie.  It's so lovely, and not a mosquito in sight!!

No comments: