Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day Six: Lunenburg and Mahone Bay; or "Oops, I Did It Again!"

It's a rainy-muggy day here in Lunenburg.  I got up early and walked around the awesome shops and took in the sights.  I love heritage buildings.  The one that I'm staying in was built in 1901, and originally belonged to a Navy Admiral.  Most buildings in the historic district have plaques on them giving them a date, and detail for whom they were first built.  Because Lunenburg is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, there are certain rules that the owners of buildings must follow - the paint must be specific colours, the building materials must be specific as well.  It's so interesting, but I can imagine takes a lot of hard work.  I'm sure it pays off well though considering the tourism that comes in.  And what I like about the tourists here is that they are quieter.  Halifax was loud and crazy, but this is quiet and slow-paced.


I spent my afternoon in a village about 10km from Lunenburg called Mahone Bay.  Of course, I discovered the local antique shop.  It's okay, though, Mom.  I did real good at this one too!  I held off on buying this amazing little purse from the 40's.  Oh, it was tough, but what I did get I'll get more use out of!!




Mahone Bay is similar to Lunenburg in the look of the waterfront properties.  It's also full of little artisan shops and cafes.  I took a little gander into the 'Settler's Museum' there and learned about Oak Island's fabled treasure, and also a little history about the settlement.  The volunteer working there was so informative about the history of the village.  I stayed in Mahone Bay for lunch, and had the best seafood chowder ever!  I only hope I recreate it!!


Now I'm back in Lunenburg for the evening.  I drove around the harbour to get some pictures from a different vantage point.  It's still rainy and foggy and muggy, and there's supposed to be a thunderstorm - I can only hope!!  I love thunderstorms, and I can imagine they're pretty dandy here. 

No comments: