Sunday, August 15, 2010

Simple Abundance for July


I don't want anyone to think that I've given up on my year of  Simple Abundance, although my July summary is coming halfway through August.  I'm going to be honest and say that this book isn't a daily read.  I usually read several days at once, and then set it down and ponder if for a while.

The Simple Abundance principle for July was Harmony.  A great deal of the entries involved learning to enjoy moments of solitude in a busy life; learning to make certain everyday chores meditations.  Since I spent a week of July on a solitary road trip, I think I've got that covered.  And I've written ad nauseum about how wonderful the trip was for lifting my spirits.  I've always been a solitary person anyways.  Enjoying time alone is a big deal to me:  I live alone, drive places alone, enjoy quiet evenings with a good book alone... I think that there is a huge difference between being alone and being lonely.  For a long time, I couldn't tell the difference and often felt that people would look upon me as lonely for spending so much time on my own.  But, after a lovely message from my aunt a couple weeks ago, she wrote that people like us with a strong sense of inner peace don't really care what other people think of us.  Truer words have never been spoken.

No comments: