Friday, October 15, 2010

Teacher Dreams


I have a coffee cup that reads: Life is about dreams.  Teachers make them come true.

Isn't that a great and inspiring quote to get you up and running with your morning coffee?  When I see this picture, it makes me want to be the kind of teacher that inspired me when I was young.  Teachers who take the time to get to know students -to learn from and learn with - seem few and far between these days. 

I was having a discussion the other day with some teachers about what the "modern child" is like: not well mannered and generally disrespectful towards adults and other children alike.  These teachers thought that much of this new attitude in children comes from bad parenting.  I don't think parents are 100% to blame.  I think we, as teachers, need to be held accountable as well.  Children spend a great deal of time with us modeling our behaviour.  Something I often think about is the kind of model I'm being for my students.  I have known people who are classroom teachers by day and heavy pot smokers at night.  That's not a model that I want to be. 

I have a student that I work with outside of the school.  He is wonderful with me, and we've made amazing progress over our year together.  When I see the reports from his school, the mistreatment that he's receiving at the hands of educators that are supporting him, I shake my head in disbelief.  This is what happens when we teach in a box, when we ignore the student's dreams.

I hope that I'll never lose sight of one of my own dreams: teach children as I was taught.

No comments: