Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake


This story was breath-taking and beautiful.  I'm actually not a big fan of World War II fiction, but this was surprising to me.  I liked the different way that Blake approached the war - through the women left behind, and the women who were there and came back to tell the story.  I am not entirely certain why she chose 'Postmistress' as the title, since the character of the Postmistress plays a role in a triumvirate of women including the Radio Gal and the Doctor's Wife.  It's not only the Postmistress' story, but that of the other characters as well - it was a little misleading to me in the beginning.  But, I don't want to detract from the prose: this novel was a heart-breaker.

1 comment:

sarah said...

i might have to pick this read up... i've been needing to start a new book.

lovely little blog.
blessings,
sarah