Saturday, January 8, 2011

Remembering the Bones by Frances Itani


Well, my second book of 2011 is a Canlit favourite by an acclaimed local author, Frances Itani.  This book has been on my Shelfari waiting list for a long, long time, and I'm so glad I've read it.  I wasn't necessarily thrilled with the ending, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to end the story that way.  I still believe her other book, Deafening, belongs on Canlit curricula everywhere.  This book, although not its equal, is still breath-taking.

Last year, I only read about 10 books of Canlit - that means only 10% of my total reading was Canadian - and I vowed that 2011 would be much, much different.  This is my first completed novel and I have a book by Miriam Toews on my 'currently reading' list.  But, on my recent foray into the book shops, I made a point to snap up more Canadian fiction.  So 2011 will be the year of Canadian Reading for me.

No comments: