Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Image from Flickr

What a beautiful image.  I found many such images when I typed 'mother and daughter' into the Flickr search engine.  What I really loved were all the old black and white images - formal and posed.  This one really struck me as something I could paint one day.  

Thursdays have become the day that I bring my mother lunch or just a coffee and hang out for half an hour or so at her work before heading to my home to work for the rest of my afternoon.  It has quickly become part of my week that I really look forward to and enjoy.  When I was in high school, a girl I was friends with had this great relationship with her mother, and I used to feel so jealous.  They had a journal in which they'd write to each other.  They went out to movies together, leaving 'the boys' at home.  A few years ago, they took a two week trip together and it brought back all those feelings again.  You know the 'why-can't-mine-be-like-that' feelings?  But I've realized that mine is different and that it's just as good, if not better.  We craft together, we lunch together, we have great conversation.  And the reason it's better than the journals, and the trips, and the movie dates... it's because it's mine.  And no one else has it.

No comments: