Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It's Finally Spring

Image taken by me, Spring 2009, Ladysmith, QC.

My father had a poem he liked to recite at springtime:

It's Spring, it's Spring,
It's finally Spring
And all the birds
Are on the wing.

My word, my word
That's very absurd.
I always thought
The wings were on the bird.

So every time Spring rolls around and I hear red-winged blackbirds - which to me is THE sign of spring - I hear this little poem in my head - and I chuckle because it reminds me that he was a funny guy amid all his faults.  I know that January marks the beginning of a new year, but it never seems new until Spring rolls around and the old snow begins to go away and the ground is, quite literally, new again.

I just received my diploma of Early Childhood Education in the mail today.  That was a pretty exciting moment.  I graduated with a 97% average.  Feels good to add this to a list of accomplishments at the beginning of a new year.  I'm also going to start painting my new apartment this weekend.  Now there's a way to kick off something new - move to a new place.  And I'm also downsizing, which has been a lot tougher than I thought it would be.  I'm sure in the next month - which is all I have left in the city - I will have everything sorted out.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Congrats on the 97%!...Excellent! And red winged blackbirds are my sign too, they are back!!! We survived another winter! Painting sounds like fun, I'd volunteer to help in a heartbeat if it didn't mean 4 other little hellions along for the adventure! Have a great one!