Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Coming Up Roses

Image taken by me, July 2009

I love nice smells.  And come to think of it, I don't really mind bad smells.  The smell of cows has always been kind of comforting to me... but I digress.  I love the smell of roses.  One time, when I was quite young, I bought rose perfume for my grandmother for a Christmas or birthday gift.  The saleslady was lauding me for the wonderful choice.  Roses for an older woman - in her mind - was ideal.  

I've always had that notion in the back of my brain every time I smell a perfume or cream with rose notes: it must be too mature a scent for me - I should be picking something more youthful.  But two years ago, a coworker breezed into the school trailing the scent of Crabtree & Evelyn behind her.  It was intoxicating.  She admitted to simmering the oil in a burner in her bedroom because the smell made her feel calm and loved.

So I've had to carefully rethink the notion of ageism and scent.  Are there scents that are more appropriate at different ages?  I have come to the conclusion - in the case of roses - that when a scent is a classic you just can't go wrong.  And when you wear something with confidence, it's never out of style.

No comments: