Sunday, May 8, 2011

Latitudes of Melt by Joan Clark


This book could very well be the best work of Canlit I've read in a long, long time.  It was so engrossing!  I just can't get over the story.  It really had the potential to be cheesy: baby found a drift in the North Atlantic on an April night in 1912 by two Newfoundlander fisherman.  She's adopted by one of the fishermen and his family.  It's the story of her life, her children's lives, and most importantly, it's a story of Newfoundland.  The setting plays such an important role in this novel - it's as alive as one of the characters.  I was discussing Canlit with a librarian friend not that long ago, and she finds that most Canlit has a very depressing tone.  Indeed, a great deal does - but this book is just so uplifting.  I can't wait to share it!

1 comment:

Mayjay said...

I'll have to check it out. Have you read Annabel? Possibly the best piece of CanLit I have ever read. Fantastic and also about Newfoundland.