Sunday, May 8, 2011

Painting in Progress - Walking in Water Phase Three and Finished


The title of this painting is La Llorona.  I figure it's a fitting title for a woman wandering the surf, head bowed.  This painting took only a little more than three hours.  I'm still not sure if it's finished.  I'm going to stare at it a while tonight.  It's part of my process.  Every time I spend a significant amount of time on a painting, I set it up in my room when I'm finished so I can see it before I go to bed, and then again when I wake up.  I can look at it with a more critical eye that way.  The colour is much more vibrant in real life, but for some reason the water looks better in this picture!

The more I sit back and stare at this picture, the more I notice how disgustingly thin I have made this woman!  I will admit that I've shocked myself a little with this realization, because I'm usually so pro-plus-sized everything.  I think this is a new mission of mine.  The next time I paint anything with a woman in it, I'm going to do my best to make her figure realistic.

1 comment:

um said...

I love this painting and the energy it embraces. Would you mind if I use this image as my featured image for a poem of mine? My blog is daphnesdaddy.com.

Thank you either way, it was an emotional experience to encounter this piece.

John