Saturday, May 14, 2011

When It's Easy to Do the Hard Things

Photo taken by me, Summer 2010, Greermount, QC

Do you ever have those moments when you are smacked in the face by something that your morals won't let you cross?  I had that moment yesterday with one of my students - nothing he did, but rather something that was done to him.  When you come face to face with your values, you get that pit in your stomach that tells you: you've got a choice.  And it's one of those times when there is a right choice and a definite wrong choice, but the wrong choice deceives you into thinking it's easier.

We all think that doing nothing is the easy way out but it never, ever is.  What it creates in our bodies is this turmoil that comes from not meeting the expectation of our values.  You always thought you could do something, but when it came down to the wire, you just couldn't.  Inaction was the easier action.  Now, you've got to live with it, and that's why what feels like the easy choice isn't easy at all.  

So what did I do?  I made the easy choice.  I made the choice to call someone on a bad move that hurt the dignity of someone I love.  It was really easy to say something hard because I am confident in the values that I have chosen by which to live my life. 

No comments: