Saturday, June 11, 2011

It's Not Where You Are Going


My grandparents on their wedding day.  Standing in as best man on the left is my Uncle Sterling.  He was my grandfather's brother-in-law, and such a classic guy.  He loved vintage cars and trucks, horses, people.  A man who loved to joke and hear the town gossip - but never in a malicious way.  His funeral was yesterday.

My grandmother loves to tell people about how he and my aunt would vacation.  She never understood it.  They'd get in the car and drive West.  They'd drive and drive and drive all the way to Edmonton, and from this wee, rural town in Western Quebec, that's a far enough ride.  But the thing my grandmother could never understand was what they did when they got there.  They'd look around, and then turn around and go back home.  

I get it.  It's not the destination.  It's not where you're going.  It's the journey.  It's how you get there, and who you get there with.

No comments: