Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday Meditations: Upon Strawberries

I like to think I'm a domestic diva, but until today, I had never made jam.  I've assisted jam endeavours, and I know the ins and outs of jam making, but I had never undertaken the whole process on my own.  I really wanted to make an awesome jam, and with strawberries being so delicious this year, and strawberry jam being so easy to make, I figured I'd expand a bit on the basic recipe.  I know - sometimes when you deviate from the basic on the first try, it turns out like crap - but like I said:  I like to think I'm a domestic diva.

My strawberry jam is a delicious concoction of strawberries and a little bit of rosemary!

Oh my goodness... I had a little warm spoonful, and it was the most amazing thing I've ever tasted.  I'm pretty impressed with myself.  The rosemary adds something spicy and exotic to the mixture, and takes some of the tooth-aching sweetness away.



So for my day of jam - cause it really takes most of the day when you're making hardcore, cooked jam - I spent the morning cutting up the berries on my balcony with a cup of coffee and some tunes on the computer. I took it all over to my mother's larger kitchen to cook and jar.  After everything was said and done, I had forty little jars of strawberry awesomeness.

Yum!

For the recipe:  just follow the instructions in the Certo/Pectin box, and add 20 rosemary leaves to the cooking berries.  I kinda followed my intuition for the rosemary, and it turned out just fine!

No comments: