Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Artful Wednesday: Canadian Impressionist Helen McNicoll

The only day of the week that was missing a theme post was Wednesday, and I love posting about art, so I figured a weekly theme about the things which inspire me would be a great idea.

When my brother and I checked out the National Art Gallery for the Caravaggio exhibit, we took a quick tour of the Canadian Hall.  I found a painting by an artist new to me - Helen McNicoll - and was completely entranced.  

There isn't much biographical information about McNicoll.  She became deaf at a young age from scarlet fever, and later studied art in Montreal after leaving her hometown of Toronto.  She eventually moved to England, and died there at the age of only thirty-six.  Below are a few of her paintings which I hope you'll enjoy as much as I do!




No comments: