Saturday, August 13, 2011

Quite a Pickle


I've got a solid weekend of work upon me doing farm labour, so of course my grandmother decides that this weekend is the only one that she has available to make relish... relish which she cannot make without me.  Truth be told, I was planning on making relish next weekend when I had more time anyways.  I guess I'll have more time to myself next weekend now!

My grandmother makes this really amazing recipe that belongs to a woman who used to live across the street from us, Mrs. Gibson.  Her son, who is in his late 80s, lives in the house with his wife - now that should give some perspective on how old this recipe is.  My grandmother and I put the cucumbers, onions and peppers into the food processor while I was home between chores, and let the mixture sit in its brine until this evening.  I had visions of an early bedtime, however my grandmother decided that she was going to be much too busy on Sunday to do the cooking and canning, and that it had to be done this evening.  So, after dinner and after a much needed trip to the grocery store to replenish my very empty shelves, my grandmother and I cooked and canned.  

We made a batch and a half... which yielded an unlucky thirteen jars.  I say unlucky because I cut my thumb on a poorly made steel sieve, and then burned my finger when some of the boiling sauce splashed me as I was stirring.  I have a jar for the local fair.  And I have enough knowledge to probably make the next batch on my own.  At least that way I can make it on my own time table!

Edit: Here's the recipe... enjoy!

3 quarts finely chopped cucumbers - cuisinart french fry blade is good.
1 quart finely chopped onions
3 red peppers - chopped
1/2 cup pickling salt

Mix above well and leave overnight.

Drain well and put into pot.

Add:
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. celery seed
6 scant cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups vinegar

Bring to a boil and seal hot.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'd love the relish recipe...I'm drowning in cucumbers here!