Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Artful Wednesday: James Tissot's Women

Tissot had his artistic beginnings in France, and learned from and worked with the likes of Degas.  And much like his contemporaries, he was also fascinated by the female figure, depicting them in both modern and costume dress.  Later in his life, he focused more on religious imagery, like the bottom painting of Ruth gleaning in the fields - which is my favourite of the group.  He makes his women look so graceful and real, even when they are awkwardly posed.  I want to crawl inside his paintings and enjoy the moment with them.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these. Tissot is one of my favorite painters. I have a whole big book of his artwork that I look through often.


Gayle in St. Louis, Missouri