Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Artful Wednesdays: Dorothea Sharp

Anyone who has studied art has, no doubt, studied the Impressionist movement with such notables as Monet, Renoir, Manet, Cassatt and Morisot.  In my grade ten art class, we had extensive study of Impressionism, and I developed an incredible love for it's tender paintings.

Last week I posted four paintings by Canadian Impressionist, Helen McNicoll.  Many of her works were painted while in England studying with Dorothea Sharp, who I will venture to say is the most prolific female Impressionist.  You can see her work below and notice a strong resemblance to Monet's plein-air style,  from whom she drew a great deal of inspiration.

Sharp studied in Paris for a time, but was British by birth, and many of her scenes depict Cornish, sea-side landscapes.  I love that her work focuses on impromptu moments in children's lives.  It's a certain lightness that many other artists can't achieve.  I also stumbled across a great blog that features Dorothea Sharp and her contemporaries - hope it broadens your Impressionist Horizons as it did mine!




1 comment:

Karen said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Dorothea Sharp's work. Her paintings of children doing what children do never fail to uplift my spirits.