Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blissed Out Tuesday: A Change of Focus


I was talking to someone the other day about her work.  She works with special needs students in a local school.  We've exchanged resources on occasion, and good stories, and I was checking in with her about the beginning of school.  I asked her how her case load was - maybe that was my first mistake.  She rhymed off a list of numbers: "I have a P33 and two 34's... got a few ABC123's..." ok, I made the last one up.  And I can't remember the exact alpha-numeric combination that she spurted, but I wanted to convey the gist of that conversation.  I stared blankly at her, nodded, and moved the conversation on. 

Why I titled this "blissed" post 'A Change of Focus' is because sometimes we focus on the wrong things and it takes away from our bliss.  When I asked the woman about her case load, I focused on "cases."  She responded with a focus on "labels."  When we focus on labels - or anything else that takes away from a person's individuality - we lose a genuine connection.

So change your focus for today.  Focus on have genuine interactions with people, children, the world around you.  See if it makes a difference in your bliss.

No comments: