Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thankful Thursday: Small Measures

Image by JojoDee

Remember when I talked about giving thanks when you're not feeling especially thankful?  I had one of those days yesterday.  School classes were running on a different, shortened schedule, so it felt as though we were rushing through our day; my co-teacher and I came across an incident at the end of the day involving one of the families at our school and it has made me very, very troubled; and at a church meeting we had news of a possible set-back in our major upcoming project.  It felt as though I was being lambasted from all sides.

Ok, so what can I be thankful for?  After the children left for the day, my co-teacher and I debriefed a little bit before heading out the door.  That was a nice moment.  After witnessing a terrible moment in someone else's family, I called my mom to tell her how much I love her and appreciate the family that I have.  And during the meeting at church, a tentative Plan B was made.  So I can be thankful that in each situation I have encountered, and all the situations I will continue to encounter in my life, there will always be small measures of gratitude.  Sometimes, the hardships feel weighty, but even the smallest measure of gratitude can tip the balance in favour of our souls.

No comments: