Monday, November 28, 2011

The Art of Uni-Tasking


My phone broke recently.  I had a portable phone, and although it's so convenient, the batteries have the shortest life span, and once they're fried, it costs more to replace the battery than it does to buy a new phone.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but neither do a lot of things in the world.  I borrowed - possibly indefinitely - an old phone of my grandmother's.  It was in her basement, and is one of those early call-display models that is pretty much obsolete.  It certainly lacks the grace and style of those old rotary phones of my early childhood.

I realized something this weekend as I was talking on the phone with a friend.  I have to actually sit down to use this phone.  I can't run from room to room - I can't cook dinner while on the phone - I have to have single-minded focus upon my task.  What a luxury to actually sit down and speak with someone and be fully present.  It's something I took for granted with my portable, but now rather enjoy with my new old immovable phone.

No comments: